Distribution of tissue
-specific gene expression and alternative polyadenylation in intestine,
pharynx and body muscle.
Top panel: Tissue-specific genes identified by PAT-Seq and the distribution of their expression levels between each tissue. A large pool of 4,091 genes is uniquely expressed in the intestine, while a smaller portion of 312 and 329 genes is expressed uniquely in the pharynx and body muscle, respectively. We have detected a common set of 1,556 genes expressed in all three tissues. Edges represent the presence of transcripts in each tissue, and color-coding indicates expression levels of genes in tissues (legend). Bottom panel: The 1,556 genes shared in all three tissues were further sorted based on the 3’UTR isoform and their expression levels. Approximately 25% to 30% of these genes use common 3’ends in these three tissues, while the remaining 70% use tissue-specific 3’UTR isoforms.