New Editorial Board Members Needed
BMC Biology is recruiting Editorial Board Members with expertise across all biological fields for our new editorial initiative. To increase our engagement with the Editorial Board and community at large, we are starting a collaborative editorial model whereby Editorial Board Members assess manuscripts in their areas of expertise alongside the in-house Editorial team. We are recruiting new Editorial Board Members who will work closely with our in-house Editors to ensure that all manuscripts are subject to the same editorial standards and journal policies.
Who are we looking for?
Experts with a passion for open access, data sharing, innovation in scientific publishing and the drive to be an advocate for their field. We are particularly interested in individuals who are in the early stages of their independent research careers, in an effort to be more inclusive of the research community as a whole. Our Editorial Board Members should have several research papers published in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
What are the responsibilities?
You will work together with in-house, professional editors to serve the community by assessing, selecting and helping to improve the papers that the journal publishes. A key aspect of this is evaluating new submissions and managing the peer review process. As an Editorial Board Member you will be responsible for the scientific quality of the manuscripts that you handle. You will adhere to the ethos, editorial standards, policies and scope of the journal and ensure that manuscripts are handled efficiently and appropriately.
An Editorial Board Member for BMC Biology should be willing to handle a minimum of 3 manuscripts per month.
We understand that researchers are usually very busy, so we try to ensure this role is not too onerous. New Editorial Board Members will be given access to training modules to help develop your editorial skills, and our in-house Editorial and administrative team will be on hand to provide additional support where required.
What are the benefits?
As an Editorial Board Member at BMC Biology, you’ll benefit in the following ways:
- Contribute to your community by providing efficient, robust and constructive handling of papers, and promoting progressive publishing ideas.
- Raise your profile and benefit your career by being an active participant in your field, through your work on the journal and interactions with authors, reviewers and fellow editors.
- “Behind the scenes” view: Serving as an Editorial Board Member enhances your knowledge of how editorial decisions are made and gives insight into the peer review process.
- Increase your knowledge of your field by exposure to research, and the expertise of your peers.
- Opportunity to shape the field and the publishing landscape by acting as an advocate for the active research community
Other benefits include:
20% discounted Article Processing Charge (APC) when publishing with BMC Biology or any other Journal within the BMC Series (for a complete list, please see this page)
For a full list of benefits and responsibilities, please see here.
How to apply?
If you are interested in joining BMC Biology as an Editorial Board Member and getting ‘under the hood’ of the journal’s editorial process, please complete this Google form. If you have any questions please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.