BMC Biology is recruiting Guest Editors for our new journal Collections launching in 2023. To increase our engagement with the community at large, we are starting topical Collections with a collaborative editorial model whereby Guest Editors assess manuscripts in their areas of expertise alongside the in-house Editorial team. Our Guest Editors will work closely with our in-house Editors to ensure that all manuscripts are subject to the same editorial standards and journal policies.
Who are we looking for?
Experts in the fields outlined below, with a passion for open access, data sharing, and the drive to be an advocate for their field. We are particularly interested in individuals who are in the early stages of their independent research careers, in an effort to be more inclusive of the research community as a whole. Our Guest Editors should have several research papers published in reputable peer-review journals.
We are recruiting in the following fields:
Stem cells & cancer
What are the responsibilities?
You will work together with in-house, professional editors to serve the community by assessing, selecting and helping to improve the papers that are submitted to your Collection. A key aspect of this is evaluating new submissions and managing the peer review process. As a Guest Editor Member you will share the responsibility for the scientific quality of the manuscripts that you handle. You will adhere to the ethos, editorial standards, policies and scope of the journal and ensure that manuscripts are handled efficiently and appropriately.
A Guest Editor for BMC Biology should be willing to handle an average of 2-3 manuscripts per month.
We understand that researchers are usually very busy, so we try to ensure this role is not too onerous. New Guest Editors will be given access to training modules to help develop your editorial skills, and our in-house Editorial and administrative team will be on hand to provide additional support where required.
What are the benefits?
As a Guest Editor at BMC Biology, you’ll benefit in the following ways:
- Contribute to your community by providing efficient, robust and constructive handling of papers, and promoting progressive publishing ideas.
- Raise your profile and benefit your career by being an active participant in your field, through your work on the journal and interactions with authors, reviewers and fellow editors.
- “Behind the scenes” view: Serving as a Guest Editor enhances your knowledge of how editorial decisions are made and gives insight into the peer review process.
- Increase your knowledge of your field by exposure to research, and the expertise of your peers.
- Opportunity to shape the field and the publishing landscape by acting as an advocate for the active research community
For a full list of benefits and responsibilities, please see here.
How to apply?
If you are interested in joining BMC Biology as a Guest Editor and getting ‘under the hood’ of the journal’s editorial process, please complete this Google form. If you have any questions please reach out to us at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.